Monday, October 16, 2006

chicken lips





Tiny soldiers do battle each day,
waging silent war against the unseen -
an inward enemy that plays evil tricks
on these soldiers' little bodies.
Still, they fight
Still, they smile
Their courage is unending.
Their greatest weapon is their laughter.
Boundless Hope is their captain,
the banner that they carry high.


Tiny soldiers, though often weak,
endure the tests and treatments
that drive grown men to their knees.
They boldly march toward their prize -
toward whole bodies
toward healthy lives.
Often found playing in their beds,
little pranksters they are at heart,
teasing their doctors and nurses,
living their lives to spite this war.



Tiny soldiers, how many have fallen!
Rivers of tears flow in their memory.
Their spirits live on in order to remind us
to continue in this costly, bloody war.
Fight the fight!
Find the cure!
Bring childhood cancer to its demise!
Sing this song for the young heroes gone before,
and ensure victory for the ones yet to come.
The unseen enemy must win no more.



Copyright © 9/18/2004 Tracy M. Ries

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those tiny little soliders sure can teach us big soliders a thing or two!!

Anonymous said...

Bella,
Does Nana know that Pa pa is holding you?

Anonymous said...

Pappaw has stolen my baby from me. That song , poem or whatever it is .... is absolutely BEATUIFUL. mUSIC TO MY EARS.

Anonymous said...

Thank you God for my tiny little soldier that you have chosen to put in my life. Thank you for miracles. Thank you answering prayers. Thank you for teaching me patience and letting me lean on you. God, that poem called Footprints in the Sand ( I think) I feel like that has been me and i know without a doubt that you have carried me along!!! And God i am sorry that i have gained weight and made your load heavier!!!! Please continue to teach me, maybe in a easier way!!! Just know that my heart belongs to you Bella and Nana is always here for you!!! Love Nana

Anonymous said...

thank you for that poem. That touched my heart. Teaches me to think more about other people instead of myself all the time and being caught up in everyday trivial thoughts. Thank you.